Adult School Crossing Guards

Why are Adult School Crossing Guards Needed?

More than 30 percent of all pedestrian accidents in unincorporated Sacramento County involve children under the age of 14.  Most of these accidents were due to children crossing in the middle of the road and general inattentiveness.  In response to pedestrian accidents involving school age children, Sacramento County provides adult school crossing guards at elementary school locations where there is potential for pedestrian/vehicle accidents.

Guidelines for Determining Where Crossing Guards are Needed:

Adult school crossing guards are assigned at locations near elementary schools where school aged pedestrians need supervision and assistance to safely cross public streets.  Adult school crossing guards may be provided under the following conditions:

  • At uncontrolled street crossings
  • At stop sign controlled street crossings
  • At traffic signal controlled street crossings

The Cost of an Adult School Crossing Guard

Each adult crossing guard costs the County approximately $10,000 per year.  There are limited County funds budgeted for crossing guards.  Therefore, the County carefully evaluates each request so that these funds can be allocated to the locations with the greatest need.

How to Request an Adult School Crossing Guard

All requests for adult school crossing guards should be directed to the Traffic Engineering Section. See contact information listed below for details.

Additional Information

For additional information about the adult school crossing guard program:  

Call 311 or 875-4311 or report online at