Invoices for Damage

​When County maintained roadway facilities (traffic signals, street lights, guardrails, landscaping or sound walls) are damaged, the Department of Transportation recovers the repair cost from the responsible party.

When a traffic collision report identifies a responsible party, or an insurance agent contacts the Department of Transportation for the cost of damage caused by their insured, the call should be forwarded to the appropriate Maintenance Manager:

  • Street Light and Traffic Signal Maintenance Manager 
  • Traffic Signs and Markings Maintenance Manager 
  • Trees and Landscaping Maintenance Manager 
  • Senior Highway Maintenance Manager

The Manager should obtain the following information:

  • Description of Damage 
  • Date of Accident 
  • Location of Accident 
  • Contact Name and Phone Number 
  • Insurer’s Claim Number

The Manager prepares an itemized summary of the repair costs (Including labor and materials). This summary is forwarded to Accounting and Fiscal Services (AFS) with the contact information. AFS prepares and mails an invoice to the responsible party or to the insurer. AFS tracks the invoices, collects payments and sends delinquent accounts to a collection agency.

An insurer will request that the County agree to a dollar settlement and sign a release of liability prior to receiving a check. AFS will route the agreement and release form to the Maintenance Manager for review and signature.

If the settlement offer is less than the repair cost, or where the damage is so extensive that a construction contract will be required for repair, the Department of Risk Management and Benefits should be contacted.


Mike Meschi, Senior Civil Engineer
Phone: 916-875-5239

Street Light Knockdown Scene