Storm Response

Stormy weather, branch fallenThe Sacramento County Department of Transportation (SACDOT) Storm Response goal is to prevent flooding and ensure public safety.

SACDOT is prepared to provide quick response to roadway maintenance incidents that may result from mild to severe weather conditions. Maintenance & Operations Division crews provide year round 24/7 response for weather related incidents, roadway hazards, urgent roadway repairs, pavement maintenance problems, traffic control and detour sign posting. Although, crews are in the field every day, we can still use the assistance of residents -- especially during bad weather conditions -- to report problems affecting roadways.

If you would like to report an incident concerning one of the weather related roadway issues listed below, please: 

Call 311 or 875-4311 or report online at

Trees or Fallen Branches

Maintenance crews respond to incidents of fallen trees or branches on public roadways. During severe weather conditions, crews may clear just the material in the roadway and move on to the next incident. Additional cleanup work is performed when crews have handled all incidents that require immediate attention. Trees or branches that fall on private roads or property are the responsibility of the property owner. Property owners should contact a private tree service for fallen trees or branches on private property.

Flooded Roads

Maintenance crews respond immediately to flooded road incidents and attempt to clear what is causing the problem right away. If the flooded road cannot be cleared, signage will be placed to close the road and maintenance crews will work to continue to clear the roadway.

Plugged Storm Drains

 If a storm drain is plugged, call the Department of Water Resources (875-RAIN), who will dispatch a crew with hand augers or a vacuum truck to dislodge and remove leaves and/or other debris from the drain.

Plugged Culverts

Culvert maintenance and operations is a SACDOT responsibility. If a culvert is plugged, SACDOT crews will flush the culvert until its clear. 

Traffic Signal Out

Signal and Lighting technicians are dispatched immediately to make repairs to traffic signals that are out or malfunctioning.

Downed Street Signs & Stop Signs

Street signs that are knocked down in heavy weather or by a collision will be replaced as soon as possible. Downed stop signs are a priority and SACDOT's goal is to have them back up within two hours of notification.

Street Light Out

To report street lights that are out contact Call 311 or 875-4311 or report online at  If possible, when reporting a problem have the pole number or property address available. The pole number can be found on a sticker approximately 8 feet high, usually on the traffic side of the pole.      ​